Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

Visa Information in English

03.08.2018 - Artikel

Information about the visa application procedure for a German residence Permit


All visa applications have to be submitted in person at the German Embassy in Helsinki, containing all documents stated below. Applications are accepted by appointment only. Appointments are to be booked online via this link.


Please read the following information carefully:

  • All documents have to be presented in original and 2 photocopies. The Embassy will not keep the original documents and the passport.
  • The Embassy can only process visa applications if the application forms are fully filled out and if all the required documents and information are complete.
  • The decision on issuing a visa may require the presentation of further documents/proof.
  • On account of the necessary audit and approval by the competent Aliens authorities/employment agencies in Germany, the visa applications procedure normally takes several weeks. The Embassy will contact you unbidden if further questions should arise or when the visa can be issued. Please refrain from any inquiries (phone calls or e-mails) in the meantime. 
  • The visa must be collected in person at the German Embassy in Helsinki.

The following documents are always required for any kind of visa:

  • two completed and personally signed application forms
  • two current biometrical passport photos;
  • passport which is valid at least another 6 months (bring the original passport and two photocopies of all pages with entries);
  • valid Finnish residence permit;
  • extract from the population information system in Finland in English (virkatodistus) with person and family information and specification of the current address (issued by Maistraatti only upon personal appearance);
  • Proof of a valid health-/travel insurance;
  • Visa fee in cash (75,- €).

In addition, if you want to study:

  • Acceptance letter from the German university;
  • Proof of studies in Finland (e. g. transcript of records);
  • Proof of the Finnish university about duration of the studies (matriculation certificate);
  • Proof of sufficient knowledge of the language in which studies will be carried out;
  • Proof of sufficient financial means for the time of your studies in Germany, i. e.:
  • a blocked account at a bank in Germany containing the amount of 10.236,- € for the first year of your studies (in case of shorter studies 853,- € per month) or
  • a statement of commitment (Verpflichtungserklärung) from a sponsor living in Germany (the corresponding form is available at the local foreign authority in Germany) or
  • proof of a scholarship/grant covering the cost of the studies (equal amounts see above).

In addition, if you want to make an internship:

  • Contract containing information concerning place of internship, description of the intended internship, its duration, and name and contact details of the reference person at the organisation
  • Approval of the Bundesagentur für Arbeit – Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung (ZAV), which must be applied for by your German employer (not for Erasmus-internships);
  • Proof of studies in Finland (e. g. transcript of records);
  • Proof of the Finnish university about duration of the studies (matriculation certificate);
  • Confirmation of the Finnish university that the internship is part of your studies;
  • Proof of sufficient financial means for the time of the internship (e. g. salary).

In addition, if you want to work:

  • Employment contract containing the following Information:
  • place of employment,
  • kind of employment (full- or part-time),
  • duration of the contract (for a limited or unlimited time),
  • salary in EUR (monthly or annual income),
  • detailed description of the intended employment,
  • name and contact details of the reference person in the Organisation;
  • Proof of professional qualifications (e. g. secondary school qualifications, university degree);
  • When applicable: proof of previous employment in Finland or Germany.

In addition, if you are applying for a family reunion visa:

  • Certificate of civil status in question (e. g. marriage certificate, birth certificate) with authorised translation into German;
  • If the certificate was not issued by an EU-country: legalisation/Apostille;
  • 2 copies of the passport of the referred family member;
  • If the referred family member is not German: 2 copies of the German residence permit of the family member;
  • Proof of sufficient financial means;
  • Proof of basic knowledge of the German language (additional information can be found on the website of the German Embassy).

Family reunion for people eligible for subsidiary protection

As of 1 August 2018, close family members (spouses, unmarried minor children and parents of minor children) of a person eligible for subsidiary protection in Germany can apply for a visa for the purpose of family reunion.

Eligible family members may already use the following link to register for an appointment to submit their visa application:

Appointment system

All relevant information about family reunion of Syrian refugees in Germany can be found here

In case of further need of clarification, please contact the Embassy by E-Mal: info@helsinki.diplo.de

nach oben